It is with great joy that we welcome your new baby to the Church. It is encouraged to have your child Baptized as soon as possible after the birth.
Parents anticipating baptism for a child are required to make an appointment with one of the priests or deacons of our parish prior to attending a Baptism Seminar. Seminars are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM.
Requirements for Parents
- Parents must set up an appointment to meet with a priest or deacon prior to Baptismal Seminar. Both parents are required at this meeting
- At least one parent must be a registered St. Luke parishioner
- Parents not married in Catholic Church are encouraged to see the priest or deacon about validation of their marriage
- Parents who have not celebrated their First Communion or Confirmation will be invited to enter the RCIA program
- Both parents are expected to attend the Baptism Seminar prior to Baptism
- Parents will be required to sign an Archdiocese of New Orleans Testimonial affirming that is their intention to do everything in their power to raise the child in the Catholic faith
Requirements for Godparents
- The Godparent must be a Catholic in good standing with the Church who has been Confirmed and regularly practices his/her faith.
- The Godparent must be at least sixteen years of age
- If married, the Godparent must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Catholic Church. Persons may not be cohabitating or living together without marriage.
- If not previously attended, the proposed Godparent must attend a Baptismal Seminar at their Church or at St. Luke in preparation for Baptism.